Writing legal documents for litigation and transactional matters is not only time consuming but also requires skills and ability. A legal document is very important because its successful enforcement and compliance as laws, rules, and regulations largely depends on the comprehension of the legal documents itself and the style of writing used. The course is designed to provide the basic legal writing skills and techniques to participants.
Course Learning Objectives:
The main objectives of the course are to:
- Enhance the competencies and skills of participants in the writing of effective and professional legal documents that meet their organizational needs
- Enhance the understanding and importance of participants of the concepts of legal writing and legal documents
- Empower participants to acquire skill and techniques in producing professional legal documents.
- Empower participants to use the newly acquired skills in their organizations
The course is delivered in a workshop setting facilitated by seasoned professional facilitators/lawyers with practical experience. One session will be devoted to site visits to relevant institutions. Participants can expect that most part of the course will entail their active input and participation as to issues treated. Lecturing will be on specific to- the- point issues that will enable participants to gain the practical skills and knowledge noted above. The course has the following key subjects:
- Overview of legal concepts and legal documents
- Writing mechanisms and styles of legal documents
- How to conduct legal research online and other legal documents
- How to quickly find relevant case studies similar to your legal document
- Legal writing process
- How to avoid unintended writing errors.
- Legal research tools
- Legal document format to meet jurisdictional formatting standard
- Use of writing tools to alert you to errors, inconsistencies, missing information,
- Using research, analysis, and drafting tools right from your word processor
- Research and writing styles
- Legal writing projects
- Legal reasoning
- Legal drafting techniques
- Legal writing skills
- Case studies of conflict resolutions in arbitration and mediation
- Problem-solving exercises
- Site visits
By the end of the course, participants should be able to have legal writing skills that would assist them in producing professional legal documents and the ability to effectively communicate effectively in writing.
This course combines lectures, class discussions and problem-solving techniques. Each participant is expected to read and complete the assigned materials. The course is delivered in a workshop setting facilitated by seasoned professional facilitators with practical experience. Active participation is required and key to the success of the workshops. Other methods used in this course include case studies and problem-solving exercises. Assessment of participant’s performance will be measured through effective class participation, group presentation, group project, and class attendance. This course combines presentations, lectures, case studies, class discussions, group presentation, and problem-solving exercises.
Who Should Attend?
This course will be of great benefit to mid-level and senior level individuals or legal professional whose jobs are involved in drafting and writing legal documents. These may include legal aides, lawyers, legislative aides, lawyers in the ministry departments and public agencies, paralegal professionals, and any individuals interested in the course.
Training Locations and Scheduled Dates
New York, USA:
Washington, DC, USA:
Phoenix, Arizona, USA: Apr 6-16;
London, United Kingdom: Apr 6-17;
Course materials include PowerPoint presentation slides, carefully selected reading materials, exercises, case studies, reading references, and a laptop computer.
The course fee is $4,500 for 2 weeks. The course fee covers the following: instruction, course materials, one brand new laptop computer to take home, administration expenses, field trips, cultural programs and miscellaneous program-related expenses.
How to Register
To participate in this course, the applicant must:
- Send a completed application form
- Have a bachelor’s degree/or have relevant work experience at senior management level
- Be nominated by the head of his/her department
- Be a senior member of the organization
- Demonstrate a devoted interest in the course
- Have a proof of English proficiency
- Demonstrate proof of financial sponsorship for the course
Hetta International Development Center
295 Madison Avenue, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10017
Ph. 212 379 8348