An effective and well-informed board of directors is critical to the success of any private or public organization. The chairman working with the members of the board of directors on a regular basis has the utmost responsibility for managing and building the organization to achieve its organizational goals. The objective of this course is to introduce to the participants the role of the chairman and members of the board of directors the challenges they confront in order to attain the goals of the organizations they represent. In this course, participants will have the opportunity to enhance their skills in building strong board of directors and to share experiences with other participants in organizational management
Course Learning Objectives:
This course aims to strengthen the skills of board members to deal with the challenges facing their establishments to meet their institutional goals.
The course is delivered in a workshop setting facilitated by seasoned professional facilitators with practical experience. Participants can expect that most part of the course will entail their active input and participation as to the issues treated. Presentation will be on specific to the point issues that will enable participants to gain the practical skills and knowledge noted above:
- Organizational structure and corporate governance
- Board roles, responsibilities, vision, and mission statement
- Policy- making responsibility
- Financial responsibility
- Board recruitment, operations, and professional development
- Board committees, policies, and decision-making procedures
- How to detect and fix broken board of directors
- Accountability and the stakeholders
- Challenges facing board of directors
- Politics in the boardroom
- Overcoming the board challenges
- The term of reference and legal compliance
- Case Studies
- Problem-solving exercises
- Guest Speakers
- Field visits
Upon completion of this course, participants will be empowered to improve their skills on the following:
- A better understanding of the issues involved in the responsibilities of the board of directors.
- How to make effective policies to attain organizational goals.
- Have a better understanding of the challenges facing the board of directors.
- Improve their accountability to the stakeholders.
- Will be more capable of enforcing institutional policy on compliance with regulations.
- Performance management and appraisal issues.
The course is delivered in a workshop setting facilitated by seasoned professional facilitators with practical experience. Active participation is required and key to the success of the workshops. Other methods used in this course include case studies and problem-solving exercises. No tests or examinations will be taken by participants in this course but assessment of participant’s performance will be measured through effective class participation, group presentation, group project, and class attendance. This course combines presentations, lectures, class discussions, group presentation, and problem-solving exercises.
Who should attend?
This course will benefit all individuals who are members of a board of directors and those who are interested in gaining more knowledge about the dynamics in the boardroom.
1 and 2 weeks
Training Locations and Scheduled Dates
New York, USA: Jul 18-29; Oct 17-28; Nov 30-Dec 12
Washington, DC, USA: Apr 18-29; Jun 6-7; Aug 1-12;
Phoenix, Arizona, USA: Feb 15-26;
London, United Kingdom:
Toronto, Canada: jun 6-17
The course fee is $4,000 for 1 week – $5,900 for 2 weeks.The course fee covers the following: instruction, course materials, one brand new laptop computer to take home, administration expenses, field trips, cultural programs and miscellaneous program-related expenses.
How to Register
To participate in this course, the applicant must:
- Send a completed application form
- Have a bachelor’s degree/or have relevant work experience at senior management level
- Be nominated by the head of the department
- Be a senior member of the organization
- Demonstrate a devoted interest in the course
- Have a proof of English proficiency
- Demonstrate proof of financial sponsorship for the course
Hetta International Development Center
295 Madison Avenue, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10017
Ph. 212 379 8348